Living in the Unknown in the age of Information

 

 
https://ezgif.com/maker my beloved

About Me:

     From Growing up in Germany to Living in Oregon, Ive been pulled every which way, having moved once every two or so years. From my experiences in childhood Ive come very comfortable traveling to places impromptu, less for the sight seeing and more for just the sake of it. Heading off to a place where an event is happening for a weekend and returning home after. In the past, If my interest is piqued I may disappear unannounced to friends and family for a bit. That exact way of life I am not bringing to college, Ive found that since college started my body just enjoys wasting time in more, sleep in bed ways, rather than the more exploratory, heading into the unknown. With my free time being more catatonic than id like, Ive been aiming to finish
relatively quickly a associates degree, afterwards getting a stable life going so my recent spur of being lazy wont bite me in the back too much.

    Despite my grovelings, Ive still explored plenty in college. Flowing with no sense, letting the wind choose the direction I head, that's how'd I describe my life currently. I've taken classes around the spectrum not focusing on one thing, currently having a technically completed anthropology major, but still being registered as a non specific major. Similarly career wise I've looked into voice acting, geology, working at a fire station, as well as general humanitarian stuff, having ideas about pursuing all those paths yet not having committed to any. Because of that I'd say lb has been mainly a thing I'm doing because college is just something you do, I really haven't found a reason beyond that 2 years in. Anthropology being the only real core to my college experience, I decided to take a few more classes I consider adjacent, media and culture being that. My interest in it thus is mainly because of curiosity of the whole subject, not a longing to learn something specific.

    Going beyond my college life, my main passions are rock climbing as well as most arts. Once again I enjoy dabbling in everything, having borrowed a music production software from a friend over the summer, as well as creating 3d models, and singing. Though because of my tendency to dabble, I don't have any passions I'm truly passionate about, they're simply things i enjoy.


 Regarding my Information Consumption

    Something i like to describe myself as is the least online Internet addict. My phone usage time alone is normally around 10 hours per day, this includes music, reading, but most likely the true culprit, videos. A YouTube video is usually always playing as a secondary noise to whatever I'm doing, its the equivalent to rain sounds to me. Despite my constant phone usage, though, I am in the dark for nearly all non national news stories. I don't have any socially active social media (i.e. Instagram, TikTok, Facebook), And my YouTube is largely niche interests none of which mention anything happening in the day to day. My main sources of information of the outside world are 1. My friends 2. my family 3. school, YouTube maybe being in fourth because of the occasional John Oliver's Last Week Tonight I watch. With my sources being all tertiary sources, If I ever learn of something from any of 
them I usually go to check via google. I'm sorry to my friends but I need 2 sources saying the same thing and then usually I believe them. Because of my isolation from news sources, though, I also have a built in filter of sorts, that being other people that I to an extent trust. If not the news then most of social media has been inundated by ai slop, and the accuracy of information on the internet I do find to be at a scary low nowadays. With that being said, there are plenty of trustable and verified places where ai is usually not present, 99% of news websites would be an example of that, and a simple search to see if they are reporting on it usually verifies information quite quickly. At this moment simply getting more than just 1 source solves most AI quandaries and even beyond that, following your gut works quite well as well. I don't really worry about "fake news", all news has a skew, and hasn't everyone been told to not just believe things said on the internet.


 


Comments